Eustace and his Technically (brilliant) Pressure Sore Coat
This is from Lynne Timm of DanMedicaSouth Ltd
“We are a small UK medical company specializing in pressure care, we recently launched a new industry changing, unique community pressure sore overlay which has not only been clinically proven by the NHS to help heal up to Stage 4 ulcers, it has also entered the veterinary field having successfully treated a stage 2 ulcer on the sternum of a three legged sheep called Eustace.
Our ground breaking technology allows animals suffering from painful pressure sores to be successfully treated using a simple pad laid in their bed. It has also been used in a coat for Eustace (please see photos). The reason for touching base with you is that we thought this news would be of interest to your members (?)
I have attached a photo of Eustace and have included his owner’s testimonial for you to read below. We think the Treat Eezi pad can be used in so many different ways with respect to animal welfare as both a preventative and a treatment tool, certainly in reducing abscesses.
Please feel free to come back to us if this is of interest.”
Here is the testimonial
My daughter went on a lambing placement, and arrived to be greeted by a dead ewe and lamb, but the other twin had survived.
During the following week multiple attempts were made to ‘mother up’ the lamb to various ewes, but with no success. He just couldn’t get the hang of suckling, although he would take a little from a bottle. Towards the end of the week he became lame. Even from this early age he was very engaging and active despite his very poor start.
He came home with us, at the farmer’s suggestion, because despite the farmer’s best efforts they just couldn’t get him to mother up and he simply wouldn’t have survived. He had been given the nickname ‘Useless’ because of his various difficulties, which I converted to ‘Eustace’ which I thought was much nicer!
I bottle fed him every 4 hours for weeks – it took him a long time to learn to suck properly even from a bottle. He continued to have much enthusiasm for life despite continued difficulties getting the hang of eating. His lameness got worse and we spent several weeks trying very hard in conjunction with the vets to get on top of the infection in his joint. He had also developed a respiratory condition but that got resolved.
We had his joint x-rayed which showed it was irreparably damaged and we assumed he would have to be put down. However one of the vets suggested amputation. To cut a long story short we went ahead with that option.
Sheep and anaesthetic don’t mix very well and I didn’t expect him to survive the procedure but he did, despite taking a very long time to come round. He coped incredibly well, the wound healed nicely and he became very adept on 3 legs.
He continued to find eating a challenge but eventually got the hang of it and by the end of the summer had been weaned onto grass!
We noticed that his front leg was growing curved due to the burden of all the weight through the one front limb. In attempt to provide him with support we tried various casts and even a custom built orthotic boot but unfortunately none of these worked and we are now in the position where his carpus (knee) is will no longer straighten. (this is what we need Noel Fitzpatrick to fix!) He is currently having a wheelchair type trolley being made for him as he is now too heavy for me to get him out to his field and back. He has retained his tremendous enthusiasm for life and shouts and shouts to go out in the morning (and shouts to come in at night as well!)
Alongside all of this, in December he got what I thought was a graze on his sternum. As you know this gradually turned into a decubitus ulcer and finally 5 months later, and thanks to the Treat Eezi pad which he started to wear in at the beginning of April, we have finally got on top of it. (most recent photo that I will send separately showing further dramatic improvement)
Nursing the wound involved multiple dressing changes each week, debridement, lavage and the very huge challenge of incorporating the pad into his jacket, which I have had to re adjust all over again now that he has been shorn.
I can honestly say he has been and remains the most challenging case I have ever had to nurse and care for, (and I have owned a good many animals over the years with various needs) but the easy bit has been that it is impossible not to want to help him because of his endless enthusiasm for life despite his various difficulties.
The challenges that remain are to completely heal and then manage his ulcer site so the ulcer does not return, and to hope that he will take to his trolley so that he can enjoy some periods of time out and about more easily than now. I also massage his legs and shoulders twice a day in the hope of improving whatever is going on in his front leg and joints.